This giant puffed pancake is filled with baked apples is always a crowd pleaser. For all its good looks, it is very simple to make.
- 6 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3 T sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t cinnamon
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (quarter pound)
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1Arrange the racks in your oven so you have a rack in the middle of the oven with at least 8" of clearance. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Using a hand mixer, blend first seven ingredients. Do not over mix. Batter will be a little lumpy.
- 3Put stick of butter in a 12" cazuela, or cast iron pan, or 13 x 9 x 2" baking dish and put in oven to melt. When butter is nearly melted, add apple slices and return to the oven until the butter begins to sizzle.
- 4Remove the pan with the sizzling apples and pour batter over apples. Sprinkle top with brown sugar and quickly return to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes until brown and puffed.
- 5Remove from the oven and quickly show everyone your master piece before it falls. Serve immediately.