Inspired by Mexican fruit and vegetable street vendors, this salad combines jicama, citrus and cucumber seasoned with lime, chili and salt.
- 1 medium jicama
- 4 small Persian cucumbers
- 2 cups citrus, peeled, membranes removed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ½
- ¾ red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 6 T lime juice
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 1 t Maldon salt
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- 1Peel and cut the jicama into ½" cubes and put into a large bowl. Using a vegetable peeler remove strips of the cucumber skin so that the cucumber has strips of green and white. Slice the cucumber in quarters lengthwise and then slice each length into pieces. Add to the bowl.
- 2Peel and remove membranes from the citrus. Divide the pithed citrus segments into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- 3Add bell pepper, onions, cilantro and jalapeno to the bowl. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt and toss lightly again.