Salads may be great for our health, but without desired taste it may not be an exciting choice for many as a meal; this amazing turkey, and black as well as wild rice salad is a real treat for both the palate and eyes. The recipe is full of gorgeous colors and unlikely combination of flavors.
Apart from being gluten free, wild rice is filled with versatile nutrients such as vitamin B, fiber, antioxidants, and minerals. Black rice is naturally deep purple and dark colored; it provides the salad with a nutty flavor.
Walnuts join with cherry, parsley, and shallots to create a delicious light meal. Addition of orange juice and tomatoes gives the salad a tangy, bright punch.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 black rice
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 T white balsamic vinegar
- 3 T olive oil (orange infused olive oil is particularly nice)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups chopped cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 cup celery, diced
- 16 roasted tomato halves, chopped (or 1 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and diced
- ½ cup minced shallots
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- ¼ c chopped parsley
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- Butter lettuce leaves (optional)
- Mango slices (optional)
- 1In a separate pot bring 3 cups of salted water to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 55 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- 2Put black rice and a pinch of salt in a sauce pan with 1¾ cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to set for about 5 minutes and fluff with a fork.
- 3While rice is cooking make dressing. Put orange zest and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Allow rice to come to room temperature and then put both black and wild rice in a mixing bowl. Add turkey or chicken, celery, roasted tomatoes, diced artichokes, shallots, walnuts, dried fruit, parsley and basil. Toss with dressing and serve.